Monday, August 21, 2006

When Junkies Attack!

This weekend, The Glenys and I headed down to London to visit my friend Nikki and her boyfriend Paul, they’ve just moved into a swanky flat in the posh end of Brixton, a loft conversion type of thing with nice fourth floor views of the surrounding area and large velux windows (I am setting a scene here, can you tell?).

We headed out to the Windows On The World bar on the 28th floor of the London Hilton with fabulous views of Hyde Park and drinks costing a whopping £13 each. Then we went to a beautiful restaurant off Oxford St called Hush, the night led us to a rough student like bar and then Nikki and I decided to leave the boys to it and jumped on the tube home.

I couldn’t find my bag, we hunted the flat from top to bottom but it was no where to be seen, then I noticed the gold necklace I had taken off before we went out was no longer on the bedside table, Nikki had a look in her bedroom for my bag and found a small whirlwind of chaos had taken place on her bedside table, resulting in large holes where her grandmothers jewellery, her passport and about £40 in cash used to be…

Anyway, to cut a longish story a bit shorter, the resulting police visit and very glamorous CSI ladies think we were the victims of opportunistic junkies who are probably, as I type this, lying in some rancid bedsit, possibly overdosing on the profits they made from selling my Ipod and my friends Grandmothers jewellery on Brixton High St.

I have gone from furious anger (fucking, FUCKING arseholes), to slight hysteria (really? After the week from hell last week, THIS is what I get?), to just plain, old fashioned tears.

One of the loveliest people in the whole world asked me to be her maid of honour yesterday, and I have been so, SO thrilled about it. I am going to be the greatest, most accomplished, most coordinated, beautifully organised maid of honour in the whole world ever. So that is my bright, glorious ray of sunshine during a very, very cloudy time. I am going to try my best to make her proud.

Things will get better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For the record, I am already proud of my Maid of Honour. She's fab.

Conscious that this now appears to be a mutual appreciation forum now. Sorry about that, but it's my wedding and I can be as mushy and sentimental as I like.