Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Strangest Conversation I’ve had all week, in fact, if I’m honest, the strangest conversation I think I’m ever going to have in my whole life.

Scene – I am sat in the office of a college which is being inspected, during inspection, inspectors are able to wander around the college at will, popping into classes to observe.

A tutor rushes into the office and approaches me.

Me; Can I help?

Her; They can’t come in!

Me; Who can’t come in?

Her; The inspectors, they can’t come in, the angels won’t like it

Me; I’m sorry, what?

Her; The angels say they can’t come in

Me; Who are the angels?

Her; The angels, the angels from God, they came this morning and told me that the inspectors cannot come into my class, today is a very bad day.

Me; Urm, right then, I’m not sure I can tell the inspectors that, they kind of think they can go wherever they like because, well, they can go wherever they like.

Her; But they can’t come to my class, not today.

Me; Right (I look around the room for help but everyone is either hiding under their desks or convulsing over them) I’m not sure what to say, uh, do you think that you could have a word with the angels and ask if, maybe it would be ok for them to observe for, like, 20 minutes or so?

Her; I don’t know (wrings her hands) I’ll have to ask them.

Me; Could you then? Only it’s quite important.

Tutor walks into the corner and begins singing to the wall in what I think is Latin but could always just be THE LANGUAGE OF THE CRAZY BONKERS, she waits, then comes back.

Her; Ok, they say 20 minutes will be fine.

Me; Excellent, thank you very much.

No comments: