Monday, October 08, 2007

Pride comes before a fall, I am living proof.

On Saturday I went shopping with my mother and I bought two suits, I spent the rest of the weekend on a mini 'get me' high, because the skirts were a size 12, the jackets were a size 10, and they were all half price.

I come to work this morning, all smug and feeling slim and confident in my new suit, it is dark blue, I have teamed it with a silvery grey wrap top, I feel stylish and professional, I walk into an early meeting, I sit next to a man wearing some kind of farmer outfit, I could be straight off the streets of New York City, Farmer Man leans towards me:

FM: New suit?

Me: Yes, yes it is.

FM: You've left the label on the sleave.

And of all the labels to leave on a suit jacket, it could have been 'Tailored by Next', it could have been 'size 10' (or as I would have wanted it to say "SIZE 10!!!!!"), but no, it said "machine washable". I sneaked out of the meeting early, locked my office door, and gave myself a talking to.

I'm remembering now when I worked at the college I was in prior to this one, I walked across an office full of women, sat down, and one of them came over and whispered "did you know the seam on your trousers is split?", and there it was, the seam had split all the way up my bum, exposing my bright pink knickers to an office full of the bitchiest women I have ever met.

Life lessons, never get too cocky, either your underwear will be exposed or everyone will see how you're trying to avoid dry cleaning.

No comments: