Friday, April 29, 2005

Friends Reunited

The essential problem with Friend Reunited is that as a person at the tender age of 24, it hasn't been that long since I left school. This means that the people who post entries about themselves are split into two categories; those who I still know and/or care about and those who I wish were dead. So every so often I log in and update my profile, trying desperately to think of something witty and upbeat, something that makes me sound wildly successful and yet humble, ever mindful of my roots and there they are, those who shall remain nameless, those who deserve to languish in Bromsgrove, feeling sorry for themselves and paying homage to african tribes people by pulling holes in their earlobes with the weight of all that revolting gold jewellary. (See what I meant about the long sentances with no full stops, but please, tell me where a full stop should have gone there!)

I just wasn't all that popular in school, I didn't follow on to my catchment area so I by the time I got to High School, all the cliques were already formed. I didn't live in the right area, I didn't wear the right clothes, I was one of those people who sang in the choir, participated in the plays and musicals. I wasn't any good at sport, but you couldn't have called me a swot either because I was useless at Maths and Science, I was good at English, History, Drama and those are just not cool, seriously not cool.

Nevertheless I log on and I hope that all the people I admired at school are doing well, because I want them to be, and I hope that everyone else crashes and burns, not literally, I am not wishing hideous burns related disfigurement on anybody (well, maybe a couple.....) but isn't it just human nature to hope in some small way that those people who found it easy a school, those to whom the A grades came easy, who were sporty and naturally beautiful at least found life outside the bubble just a little bit difficult.........?

And if he ever finds this, I do hope Russell Everton is doing well, because God knows he found life hard enough when I knew him.

And Gavin is a drag queen! Which rocks!!!

No comments: