Friday, May 06, 2005

Lovely Tom Starkey

Last night I caught up with someone I haven't spoken to properly for a very long time, his name is Tom Starkey. Tom Starkey is a phenominal name and he has quite brilliant hair.
We met up in some dodgy local town for local people if you know what I mean and holed up in my hotel bar for four hours. Now I was a little worried about seeing him in case of the disease which affects people who haven't seen each other for a long time- The Awkward Conversation (TAC disease). The reason we haven't spoken properly was because when we graduated from uni we did not part on the best of terms and neither of us was willing to back down. This taught me a valuable lesson in life - sometimes you should back down, sometimes it's better to say you know what, this isn't worth it, because although I can remember quite clearly the many factors which led to our falling out, I can't remember a single one of them being worth losing his friendship for such a long time.
I needn't have worried about TAC disease, he is a consumate professional at avoiding all the sypmtoms and before we knew it it was 9.15 and it was like we had never not spoken.
Tom Starkey is a teacher, and he is a teacher for all the right reasons, he genuinely wants to make a difference, but as mochinbach has written about on her Noble And Much More Worthy Than Mine site, teaching has not turned out to be what he thought it was, so he's quitting. This makes me so furious, that the system (or the Man, or They or whatever you want to call it) is letting kids down up and down the country because brilliant people like Mochinbach and Tom Starkey feel they can't put up with all the bullshit and just help the kids. I had some totally amazing teachers when I was at school, and I had some bloody awful ones to, and I can honestly say that the teachers who inspired me the most were the ones who would stay behind to talk to me on a human level, to see what my issues were and how we could better my studies in spite of them (and sometimes because of them). That's what teachers like Tom Starkey and Mochinbach try to do, that's what they are fighting to do in a system where kids are statistics and their grades are targets. That's why Tom Starkey is quitting and I think that's so sad because if Tom Starkey and his brillaint hair had been my teacher I'd have got straight A's all the way through.

I'd have got into a lot of trouble though, because Tom Starkey is HOT.

No comments: