Monday, September 12, 2005

Memo

Going to have a rant now.

Someone said to me the other week that there are two kinds of thinkers - problem thinkers and solution thinkers, problem thinkers just tell you over and over again about why something is impossible and will decide that there is NO solution and therefore spend all the time they are supposed to be creating a solution just thinking about all the reasons why the solution just won't work. Solution thinkers will realise there is a problem and sort it out, and anyone who works with them might not even know at times that there was a problem because it will be sorted before they know it.

So I would like to just take a moment to talk to the people who are problem thinkers. this is because I am currently working with a whole organisation full of you and I can't actually tell you any of this to your face, I have to be nice and polite and listen to your concerns as if I actually care. What I would really like to say is WHY CAN'T YOU PEOPLE JUST GET ON WITH YOUR FUCKING JOBS, you get paid to do something, ok? You come to work when you're supposed to, you leave when you're supposed to, you never give anyone one second more of your time than is absolutely necessary (I don't know why, perhaps your time is more important than mine, ARE YOU THE PEOPLE CUTTING ME UP AT ROUNDABOUTS IN YOUR VIBRANTLY COLOURED YET TASTELESS CARS?) and yet you still find that, rather than get on with the job, you have to bitch and moan about why X isn't going to work, why Y is an 'unreasonable expectation', and why Z is the stupidest idea you ever heard in your long and enviable career as a DATA FUCKING INPUTTER. You do what? 7 hours a day? Please, just do what you're asked to do and then go home. I don't understand why this is a problem, you shirk any real responsibility and yet behave as if should you carry out this instruction and the whole process fails, it will be your fault, it really won't be, it will be the person who devised the processes fault, and as long as you can say 'I tried my best' it will never come back on you. So please! Just bloody do it! And whatever you do, don't send emails to people exclaiming that I 'do not appreciate the problem' because firstly, I do appreciate the problem, THE PROBLEM IS WHY I'M HERE, and secondly, the email will eventually end up as part of a stream of emails and I will be copied in on one of them and I will read down and see your obnoxious, self-righteous comments and we can't ever be friends.

Small message to all the solution thinkers - I love you, will you come back to my house and live with me forever?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bang on!

But the frustrating thing is that these people had their solution thinker/problem thinker switch set at birth, and there's nothing one can do to change them. The way I dealt with them was to fuck off and get another job. Perhaps not a very universal solution, but it worked for me.