Thursday, September 08, 2005

On behalf of 2 million women.....

..... Please go here -

http://www.ethical-business.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=1953

and sign this petition.

When I formally diagnosed in May 2004, after a laparoscopy, I was amazed when I realised the number of women this disease affects. I really want to impress the point of the following paragraph on you -

'A recent survey undertaken by the Endometriosis All Party Parliamentary Group shows that the average time to make a correct endometriosis diagnosis is still increasing, taking on average 8 years from the first time they see their GP about their symptoms. 68% of women were originally told they had another condition prior to correct diagnosis.'

Yet there is no National Endo Week (however crass that sounds), there is no awareness campaign, no one ever goes on GMTV and talks about their 'struggle' with it. When the first consultant I saw mentioned the word to me I had to look it up on the internet to get information because I had never even heard of it. It never even crossed the minds of all 6 GP's I saw before I was FINALLY referred, I am also part of the 68% and was sent away with all kinds of antibiotics over a period of 7 months.

On the up side of it all though, you get to see some really fucking gruesome photographs of your insides when they show you what the laparoscopy found. I bet not many people can say that they woke up one afternoon to find a Consultant Gynaecologist waving photographs at them and saying 'this is your womb... and this is what we found behind it when we moved your womb out of the way....' Oh really! You moved it out of the way! WELL DID YOU PUT IT BACK?!

No comments: