Wednesday, September 28, 2005

This is nothing to do with any crappy Beautiful South song.

My parents always said that whatever you do, however hard you try, there is always room for improvement. The most they ever scored me was 9/10.

I don't like to blame my parents for my possibly-in-need-of-therapy psychosis, and I am well aware that there are plenty of people who grew up being scored much, much lower than a 9. I had and continue to have, two of the best parents anyone could ask for. I also think there's a time in everyone's life when you have to reponsibility for yourself, claim your mistakes as your own and lay to rest the hang ups that were passed on to you by those in charge of your up bringing.

Sometimes I feel like I am being suffocated by a crushing weight of inadequacy and every so often, I do wish I could feel what it might be like to be a perfect 10.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

but what is in fact a perfect ten? is there in fact 'perfect' or is it the ever inachievable purely by its definition?

perfect (WITHOUT FAULT):
adjective
complete and correct in every way, of the best possible type or without fault:
a perfect day
What is your idea of perfect happiness?
This church is a perfect example of medieval architecture.
You have a perfect English accent.
The car is five years old but is in almost perfect condition.
She thought at last she'd found the perfect man.

so, is there anyone who is completely without fault? i think not.

that would make 9 the best score achievable out of ten.

get you.

Mochinbach said...

soory Span, even mary poppins was onyl "practically" perfect in everyway.

9/10 is the just as great as MAry P.