Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Do I HAVE to tell you about Buggy Rallying? Really?

It started off so well, really it did....

The Buggy's were quite sturdy little contraptions, worth £10,000 each, 20bhp, capable of up to 50mph (although the fastest anyone went on Saturday was 23mph and that looked quite dangerous in itself) and track was like a dirt track lined with tyres. You had to wear a navy blue boiler suit (why?) and helmet and the safety talk involved being told that should the buggy catch on fire, it would be advisable to GET OUT. That sounds quite sensible until you realise that once you're in the buggy with helmet and gloves on, strapped in and with the nets where windows would be in a normal car tied down, getting out without assistance is pretty much impossible.

Everyone was split into four teams of four, you had three goes on the track (1st go was a practise and 2nd and third were races) and each go consisted of three laps. No one was racing each other, the idea was to get the best time. LOF and Glenn were doing really well, Me and Moch were holding out own, LOF was 1st, Glenn was 5th, Moch was 9th and I was 10th (so not last, which I can tell you, shocked me more than anyone else). Then it was time for the last go on the track, first LOF, while trying his best to shave 3 seconds off his best lap time to retain his first place, crashed heading into a corner too quickly, then Glenn crashed, careering up a ramp.... then (and you knew this was coming) I just could not keep control of the bloody thing, I was on the 2nd lap of my final go and I don't know what happened but I ended up on the tyres... 3 times. I kept thinking I could come off them but finally the buggy just thought 'oh fuck this' and catapulted me onto the side of the track. A man with very muscular thighs (hello....) came running over to pull me back onto the track but I'd had enough, I asked if I could please not have to do it again, and he said of course.

Thus endeth my career as a racing driver.

I came last.

I even came after the buggy without a driver that was driven by a couple of people who weren't racing but just having a go. But I got a round of applause when I came back into the pit!

Moch came 13th (no crashes for her!), LOF came 1st (IN MY MIND) and Glenn came 3rd (he even got a little bronze (effect) medal).

Good day had by all? In retrospect, I guess so, Chris had a good day and it was his birthday thing so that's most important, but I won't be doing it again in a hurry.

6 comments:

Mochinbach said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You went buggy racing without me. Listen carefully...

YOU
HAVE
TO
TAKE
ME
NEXT
TIME

Please god let there be a next time

SpanAir said...

Listen to me very carefully...

I
WILL
TAKE
YOU
NEXT
TIME

Mochinbach said...

Do you know how long it has taken me to do this?

OK>

The pictures of bugying!

Anonymous said...

Okay, listen to me...

I
DONT
WANT
TO
GO
BUGGY
RACING

(I will be in the bar with the first aid kit)

SpanAir said...

Idea - Glenn, LOF and Gareth go together, LOF can whup their asses like he clearly should have done on Saturday, Glenn can go for Silver, Gareth can fully experience sitting in a rickety petrol bomb for himself and we can go sit in a bar somewhere and feel smug that we do not have a wet arse (did I not mention that lovely part of Saturday....?).