Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Saturday Night Fever

Saturday night I went down to London to see my friend who has just left her beloved home town to go and see what life is like in the big city. She lives in Brixton and you have to walk down Electric Avenue to get there which was both exhilerating (the smells, music, colours, languages) anbd frightening (we were three visibly middle class white girls with weekend luggage and a map trying not to trip over anything, you could put the scene in a film and people would say it wasn't realistic) but the end result was worth it. She lives in this awesome house with a two story living room, it's the kind of house you always thought you would live in when you dreamt of house sharing (before your dreams were crushed by criminal landlords and a toilet brush), the kind of house they filmed 'This Life' in. It wasn't until I was in the house with these girls who made my university experience so memorable and exciting that I realised how much I missed them. I see them about 3 or 4 times a year at most because we are all so busy with jobs and houses and boyfriends etc but every time I see them I wish I could see them more.

We went shopping in Islington, at least we would have gone shopping in Islington had we not found a pub and bought several bottles of wine, three hours later we went and got some food instead in an Italian restaurant with shockingly reasonable prices. After that we headed back to Brixton and got ready to go out.

Highlight Number 1: Her house has these sash windows and her living room is on the first floor. We were getting ready in there and as I am great believer in less is more when it comes to make-up, hair etc (after coming in one night and reaslising I looked like the some Lily Savage impersonator gone wrong) I was ready first. So I climbed out of the sash window and sat on the roof of the bay window of the ground floor front room. I sat there for about 10 minutes listening to the music from the house (Beck) and looking down the street at the old terrace houses, it was a beautiful clear and warm night, the stars twinkled down from the sky like fairy lights, and I felt like that moment would live at the front of my mind forever.

And that is what comes of starting to drink at mid-day.

(Twinkled? My God woman! You have an english degree, you read Joyce, Nietzche, Marlow...... AND NOW YOU'RE TALKING TO YOURSELF, you need some sleep clearly, just keep repeating 'I can recognise Omnipotent Narrative Structure' over and over, FIND THAT BRAIN....)

Anyways.... We went to Shoreditch, which is apparently The Place To Go at the moment (I know this because James, my London Living Friend From Yore text me to ask me where we were goingand when I said he Shoreditch he said 'Ooooh, Get You!' So from that I have decided I must be Super Trendy) We ended up in a club called 303, or 333, or 313 or something that is numbers mainly made up of 3's.

Highlight Number 2: The Worst DJ In The World Ever (christened so by one of my friends who had to be physically restrained from assualting him as she screamed 'YOU ARE THE WORST DJ IN THE WORLD EVER!!!!! which goes to show that drugs are bad things) there was no pattern to what he was playing, the play list went something like - Queen, Take That, Nirvana, Cindy Lauper, Marilyn Manson, Kate Bush, every time a song finished the people one the dance floor just stood still waiting to see what was going to be next and everytime a new track started, it was a strange surprise....

After the club we were followed to the bus stop by two french men who seemed to think all they had to do to get one of us into bed was say 'I am French' and if I'm completely honest, I would have to say that if there was no Glenn I would so have been THERE, what can I say? I'm THAT easy.... And we finally rolled back into Brixton and crashed into bed (under a not so poetic, daylight sky) at 6.45am.

Good night had by all, I'm sure as the flashbacks continue this week I will post little titbits (nut not too many Gareth! Wouldn't want you to think I'm not earning my crust Mr On-Line Dictionary!) but right now I am just basking in the glow of a wonderful memory.

No comments: